Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Irish Champ

Irish Champ


Anyone who knows me knows that I love potatoes. I could make a meal of just that bowl of potatoes right there. That little pool of irish butter is just calling out to me...

I'm not Irish, but I love to cook around St. Paddy's day. Maybe it's because I don't live too far from Boston or something. Or maybe it's just fun. Either way, I prefer something a little more authentic than green beer, so as the first part of my favorite St. Patrick's day dinner menu, I introduce you to champ - an absurdly simple but absolutely delicious variety of mashed potatoes.

These creamy mashed potatoes are filled with cream, butter and green onions. The onions are steeped in the dairy which mellows them slightly and really lets the onion flavor infuse the whole dish. And don't you worry on about carbs or fat - just make them for a day and enjoy!

Champ

Makes about 4-6 servings

2 pounds potatoes (russet or yukon gold) peeled and cubed 
1/2 cup heavy cream (or whole milk if you're no fun)
2 oz (1/4 cup) butter, preferably Irish (like Kerrygold)
1 1/2 cups green onions, sliced


1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with about an inch of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until very tender, about 15 minutes.

2. While the potatoes are cooking, add the cream and butter to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Mix in your green onions, cover and set aside off the heat. 

3. Drain your cooked potatoes, return them to the pot and mash. Add the cream mixture and stir until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. When serving, make a little well in the middle of your potatoes and add an extra pat of butter to dip your potatoes in  as it melts. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment